The best retractable dog leash is a very convenient little invention that should be a part of every dog owner’s equipment, along with a great elevated dog bowl and a pair of slippers that your dog can chew on.
- Top 5 Retractable Dog Leashes (Summary)
- 10 Best Retractable Dog Leashes Reviewed
- 1. TUG Patented 360° Tangle-Free, Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash with Anti-Slip Handle
- 2. Hertzko Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash Great for Dogs of All Sizes
- 3. TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash 16 ft Dog Walking Leash for Medium and Large Dogs up to 110lbs
- 4. Ruff ‘n Ruffus Retractable Dog Leash with Free Waste Bag Dispenser
- 5. EC.TEAK Retractable Dog Leash, 16FT/ 26 Foot Dog Walking Leash
- 6. UPSKY Retractable Dog Leash, 16 ft Scalable Dog Walking Leash with Bright Flashlight
- 7. Fida Retractable Dog Leash, 16ft Heavy Duty Pet Walking Leash
- 8. BABYLTRL Upgraded Retractable Dog Leash, 360° Tangle-Free Dog Walking Leash for Heavy Duty, 16ft of Strong Reflective Nylon Tape
- 9. FLEXI Design Retactable Dog Leash in Black, 26′
- 10. Petacc Retractable Dog Leash, Reuse Design, 360° Tangle Free, Heavy Duty Pet Walking Leash for Large Dogs
- What is a Retractable Leash and the Benefits of Using It
- How Does It Work
- Retractable Leash vs Traditional Leash (Pros & Cons)
- How To Choose The Best Retractable Leash for Your Dog
- Does Spending More Means More Quality?
- How To Clean and Maintain a Retractable Dog Leash
- Frequently Asked Questions About Retractable Leashes
- Are the retractable dog leashes dangerous for your dog?
- Can you use the retractable dog leash on the water adventures?
- My retractable dog leash is full of some kind of small white flakes and dog hair. Why is that happening?
- In what situations should I avoid using the retractable dog leash?
Top 5 Retractable Dog Leashes (Summary)
|TUG - BEST RATED||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|EC.TEAK - LONG LEASH||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Petacc - ANTI-BITE LEASH DESIGN||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Fida - INEXPENSIVE||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|TaoTronics||CHECK ON AMAZON|
10 Best Retractable Dog Leashes Reviewed
With all the features meant to make your dog walking an enjoyable experience, TUG Rectractable Leash is exceptionally comfortable to hold.
The handle is durable and anti-slip, while also accommodating to your hand. This means you won’t experience any inconvenience, even on long walks.
There are three sizes available, from dogs weighing under 35 lbs to the ones under 110 lbs. The retraction is easy to adjust with a 360 degrees movement that won’t cause tangling.
The one feature that’s especially convenient is quick lock and unlock. You can use your thumb to roll on or off the leash into the locking position.
- Durable and anti-slip grip handle
- Easy-lock button and tangle-free design
- Easy to adjust retraction
- Lock in on the thumb pad which might make you unlock it accidentally
If you’re a fan of extra-long and strong retractable dog leashes, Hertzko might be the best choice you can make. Its nylon ribbon can extend 16 feet, helping your dog roam freely, while still allowing you enough control.
No matter how much your dog pulls, the leash will still feel comfortable in your hand thanks to the anti-slip handle. The product is for small to large dogs up to 110 lbs.
It’s strong and durable and has a reliable lock system that enhances control. You can control the length by pressing the lock button with your thumb.
However, note that some customers reported that this feature doesn’t work that great at all times and it tends to be difficult to stop the line from going all out.
- Secure locking mechanism for length adjustment
- Durable and ergonomic retracting mechanism
- Anti-slip handle with a comfortable grip
- A bit challenging to push the button down to stop the line from going out
TaoTronics Dog Leash comes with a cool feature you’re going to love. A free roll of plastic bags is a bonus this seller offers to help you to clean up your dog’s mess fast and efficiently.
No matter the size and weight of your dog, this product will provide you with more than enough control and still give your pet a lot of freedom to roam around.
You can extend the leash up to 16 ft, but also to any length you find comfortable. The handle won’t slip at all and it has an ergonomic grip, adjusting to your hand’s anatomy.
You might notice that this item is heavier than some other dog leashes, but if this doesn’t pose a problem to you, then you should definitely purchase it.
- Can be adjusted to a comfortable length
- Strong and durable nylon tape that can be extended up to 16 ft
- Anti-slip and ergonomic handle
- Slightly heavier than similar products
The ability to withstand pulling and tugging is important when it comes to dog leashes and Ruff ‘n Ruffus will have you covered. It has an extremely strong nylon ribbon that’s reinforced with chrome at the joint.
This gives it durability and allows you to control your dog without the fear that it’ll snap at some point. You can extend the leash up to 16 ft and never worry that your pet will chew through it.
The ergonomic handle that doesn’t slip will feel comfortable in your hand. There’s also a button that you can simply push to lock it at the desired length.
A bone-shaped dispenser for dog waste and one roll of the plastic waste bag come as an added bonus completely free of charge. You can clip the dispenser onto the handle for hands-free use.
- Extra-tough nylon ribbon enhanced with a chrome-plated snap cook that doesn’t easily snap
- Anti-slip handle with premium retracting spring
- Comes with a dog waste bag and a roll of plastic waste bags
- Tends to tear after an extended period of use
With a retraction length of up to 26 ft, EC. TEAK Dog Leash is the longest, strongest and most durable product of its kind. Its noiseless design makes it even more convenient to use.
One push of a button makes the leash stop and lock at the given length instantly. You might notice that the retraction works slowly, but if this doesn’t bother you, you’ll love the other features of this item.
There’s also a spring that enables smooth retraction, preventing you from getting hurt. If your dog loves to run around, you won’t have to worry that the hand you’re holding a leash with will get hurt.
The handle of this product is ergonomic and doesn’t slip, so you’ll be able to enjoy a comfortable walk with your pet.
- Strong, durable and noiseless design
- Safe and reliable, one button brake and lock system
- Ergonomic, soft and anti-slip handle with a safe grip
- Retraction is slow
Coming with a detachable flashlight you can use when walking your dog at night, UPSKY Retractable Dog Leash will provide you with maximum visibility.
The leach itself can expand up to 16 feet, offering maximum freedom and comfort. It’s also strong and durable, given that it’s made of sturdy nylon ribbon and non-toxic ABS plastic case.
The brake and lock mechanism works with just a simple push of a button, allowing you to adjust it to the comfortable length and giving you maximum control.
You can comfortably keep a strong grip no matter how much your dog pulls thanks to its ergonomic, anti-slip handle that feels soft to hold.
- Detachable flashlight for maximum visibility at night
- Reliable, one-touch locking safety system
- Comfortable, anti-slip handle
- Pull back mechanism might stop working properly after some time
For dog owners who hate when their dog leash gets tangled, FIDA is a great choice that has an anti-twist inlet, so it doesn’t allow tangling at all.
The product is built with ABS materials that are resistant to impact as well as a rustproof swivel hook. At night, you’ll be able to see your dog thanks to its white reflective tape.
Quick locking, unlocking and pause button is easy to move by rolling your thumb on or off. As one of the essential parts, the handle is ergonomic and comfortable to hold.
It has an anti-slip handle that feels soft in hand, so it’ll be able to withstand long walks.
- Soft and ergonomic, anti-slip handle with a comfortable grip
- Embedded with strong reflective tape for improved visibility at night
- Rustproof swivel hook with anti-twist inlet
- Not very durable
8. BABYLTRL Upgraded Retractable Dog Leash, 360° Tangle-Free Dog Walking Leash for Heavy Duty, 16ft of Strong Reflective Nylon Tape
Besides the large and expandable BABYLTRL Dog Leash, when you purchase this item, you’ll also get a dog collar, collapsible water bowl, waste bag dispenser and a roll of plastic bags.
Allowing you smooth retract and release at any angle, this item has a reflective strip that’s very convenient when walking your dog at night.
You can lock, unlock and pause the retraction by pressing just one button that’s right beside your thumb. The locking mechanism doesn’t rust and the leash doesn’t knot or wind.
There are stainless steel bearings that prevent the item from getting stuck. The collar that comes as a bonus is great, but not chew proof, which is something worthwhile mentioning.
- Concave design with anti-tangle and durable nylon tape
- Reflecting strip to ensure safety and visibility at night
- Suitable for large dogs and allows smooth retract and release at any angle
- Not entirely chew proof
The innovative short-stop braking system of Flexi Retractable Dog Leash is simple to use with one hand only and it provides a high-level comfort and security even during long walks.
The brake button enables you intuitive and reliable handling, while the ergonomic grip handle feels comfortable.
The cord unrolls and retracts with ease and you’ll notice that it also responds fast. The tape will follow your dog no matter its direction and it’ll return to the chromed snap hook when not in use.
You can upgrade this item by getting the LED lighting system and multi-box that stores waste bags. Both of these products come from the same manufacturer.
- Can be upgraded with multi-box and LED lighting system
- Ergonomic grip handle
- One-handed braking system
- Doesn’t have rubber cushion handle, so it’s not for larger dogs
10. Petacc Retractable Dog Leash, Reuse Design, 360° Tangle Free, Heavy Duty Pet Walking Leash for Large Dogs
Anti-bite design and tangle-free features make Petacc Retractable Dog Leash safe and convenient to use. The tape inlet is also strong, resistant to wear and smooth.
The reflective grey nylon is very convenient at night and helps you see where your dog is at all times. The handle takes a wide surface and it’s also non-slip.
This will help you have a comfortable and ergonomic grip, especially since the surface is made of soft rubber. The stainless-steel bearing is there to prevent the leash from getting stuck.
Finally, there’s a one-button operation mechanism that works by rolling it on or off and the spring that improves durability and lasts for long.
- Anti-bite design and reflective strip for safety
- Wear-resistant and tangle-free
- Anti-slip, soft, rubber handle and one-button operation
- Feels very heavy
What is a Retractable Leash and the Benefits of Using It
A simple, yet powerful tool that provides security and freedom of movement for the dog as well as the dog owner.
Controversial at the very beginning, wrongly accused of a security hazard, but now more than widely accepted by veterinarians and experts all around the world. Dog owners loved it from the start and considered it the next step to no leash at all.
How Does It Work
As simple as it can be. The nylon rope is inside the plastic casing, wrapped around and controlled by a metal spring device. On the outer end of the rope, there is some sort of a buckle that attaches the leash on the dog’s collar or a harness (if in a need for a small harness feel free to read our article about best harnesses for a small dog).
On the handle of the casing, there are one or more buttons that control the functions of the leash. By simply pressing the buttons, you can retract, loosen or lock the leash, giving your pet more or less freedom of movement.
Retractable Leash vs Traditional Leash (Pros & Cons)
As mentioned earlier, a lot of controversies followed the retractable dog leash, but given the time, people came to an understanding that it is no more or less dangerous than the traditional leash.
We will give you the usual pros and cons list for the retractable dog leash:
Pros – the happiness of your pup
- Your dog will enjoy relative freedom of movement. The leash goes a long way, so your pet can run, roll, chase birds and all that while being safe. That raises the quality of his trips and his physical health because he isn’t sentenced to a long slow walk.
- Handicapped people or people with the impaired movement have difficulties managing the standard leash. It can get tangled in the wheels of the wheelchair and the length of the leash is usually not enough for the service dogs to execute instructions.
- They are the greatest help for training your dog to obey simple orders like “stop”, “come back” or “fetch, especially with hyperactive dogs. If your dog is a puller, just shorten the length of the leash and fixate it until he learns his lesson.
- No more grumbling when it’s too cold or too wet outside and your pet has to use the toilet. Your dog can happily mark his territory even on the rainiest night while you sit at the comfort of your porch. Also, it gives your dog a bit of privacy at those delicate moments.
- Well trained and well-behaved dogs will appreciate the comfort and freedom given by the retractable dog leash, as they are learned to obey the voice commands given by the owner.
Cons – some safety hazards
- The retractable leash can get your pup too far away from you if you are not careful. One moment of negligence can lead to disaster. If your dog has run around the corner or crossed the busy street you will not have much time to react in the case of the accident
- Not very suitable for aggressive breeds, or any breed that is not trained properly. It gives them an opportunity to get too close to other dogs and it could end in a decent dog fight.
- Sudden yanking or pulling the retractable dog leash can get both you and your pet seriously injured. Stronger dogs can even knock down their reckless owner, and that will end in bruises and stitches, at least.
- You must be cautious most of the time, especially in a crowded area
How To Choose The Best Retractable Leash for Your Dog
Length of the leash
The beauty of the retractable dog leash is that the length is adjustable. There is a wide range of leashes on the market, the standard ones used are around 2 meters long and the longest ones go up to 9 meters.
Pretty great, huh? And you can use every length for every size of the dog, just respect the weight limit.
Retractable dog leash types: corded vs belted
The standard two types of retractable dog leash have their advantages or disadvantages, depending on the preferences of a dog owner.
Corded retractable dog leash uses firm rope made of nylon or similar modern materials. It is lightweight, strong, damage resistant and almost never gets tangled.
But if you have a restless dog that jumps and runs all the time, this type has a bad reputation of causing cuts or burns to the holder. Belted retractable dog leash (also known as tape leash) was invented as an attempt to lower the number of injuries caused by a corded leash.
The design is the same, but the rope is flat, which minimized the number of cuts caused unintentionally by your restless pet. The minor flaw is that the belted leash can little more often get tangled in a casing.
Of course, the defects are mostly connected with low-quality products. Both types are pretty great if you purchase the quality product.
Number of dogs supported
If you own two dogs, first, I envy you. Second, then you know how unpleasant it can be trying to control two dogs with two leashes in hands. That is, without any exaggeration, an accident waiting to happen.
Luckily, there are types of retractable dog leashes that support two dogs on one leash. Effective solution for multitasking your dogs and being able to use at least one hand. But get yourself a shorter leash because it is almost impossible to control two dogs on a long leash and be tangle-free.
Weight limit – size matters
It’s not the same having a miniature pup and having a dog that you could ride into battle. Weight limits for leashes are there for a good reason. If your pet exceeds the weight limit of his leash, it will give him the most unpleasant feeling in the world, like carrying a dress that is two sizes smaller.
Of course, there is a great danger he might easily break the leash and get into some kind of an accident. On the other hand, if your small pooch uses a leash for the big boys, it could injure his little neck. Always stay in the weight limits.
Brake, recoil and lock control of the retractable dog leash
The sole purpose and the main argument of using the retractable dog leash is its multifunctionality.
The brake function stops your pet from pulling the leash further than you want.
The recoil control makes the physical effort of stopping your pet easier while keeping you from injuries caused by a sudden twitch of the leash.
The lock control lets you choose the exact length of the leash that you want to use and “lock” that length so it becomes fixed.
All the control buttons must be placed in that position and order to make the retractable dog leash easy to handle with just one hand.
Additional features – I want them all and I want them now!
The more the merrier. For you, of course, because all the additional features serve mostly as a help to the dog owner. Choose the handle with the firm grip, that won’t slip out of your sweaty hands.
Also, pick the handle that suits the size of your hands, for safety reasons, and if your hands are larger than average, be ready to dig deeper in the world of leashes, because the standard size can be pretty small.
Reflecting ribbons on the handle and the LED lights are a necessity for your night trips to ensure that you can see and be seen.
Some retractable dog leashes even come with a bag compartment so you can easily clean your dog’s mess while some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their leashes if they are maintained properly.
Of course, the market is flooded with a variety of different colors, shapes and even personalized retractable dog leashes.
Does Spending More Means More Quality?
The quality comes with a certain price and sometimes the price isn’t small, and that is a fact applicable to all products. An excellent dog grooming scissors cost more than a regular one, but with a reason.
Don’t make a mistake buying cheap copies made from untested materials, because you are putting you and your pet in the risk of injuries or worse.
Always buy your retractable dog leash from tested, verified company or seller as a guarantee of quality. Do your research and pick the best choice for your pet, and the price won’t mean a thing. After all, does your dog’s love and safety have a price? I thought so. Good choice.
How To Clean and Maintain a Retractable Dog Leash
It would be best to clean the retractable dog leash after every use, especially after your pet has had some muddy adventures. Extend the leash to its maximum length and put it in a lock position.
Use a mild detergent to carefully and thoroughly wash the entire surface, then clean the clip, casing and the handle with a piece of a damp cloth.
The best solution is to let it dry in the sun, fully extended. Considering it may take a while, especially for the longer leashes, it’s not a bad idea to purchase additional, spare leash.
Don’t put back the wet leash in the casing because the mechanism could get rusty. Never let your dog use the retractable dog leash as a chew toy, as it could damage it an injure his teeth.
Spray your leash with bitter spray to get rid of that nasty habit. Generally, keep your leash as far away from water, mud, extreme temperature and pet teeth as you can.
Do a regular check of brake, recoil and lock functions and if you have the slightest doubt they don’t work as they should, don’t use the leash.
Frequently Asked Questions About Retractable Leashes
Are the retractable dog leashes dangerous for your dog?
Yes, and no. Any piece of equipment is dangerous when it is carelessly used. After seeing all the facts, the retractable dog leashes are no more dangerous than the traditional one, when used properly.
Just read the manuals and ask for help if you are not sure about some function of the leash. And remember: quality materials make a great safe leash.
Can you use the retractable dog leash on the water adventures?
Of course, it is even highly recommended. Just take the security precautions and get your dog the best lifesaving dog jacket so you can both enjoy some swimming with no worries.
My retractable dog leash is full of some kind of small white flakes and dog hair. Why is that happening?
The most common diagnosis is that your dog has a dry skin condition and is shedding his fur full of dandruff on the leash.
Consult a veterinarian and buy your pet an effective dog shampoo for dry skin. Don’t worry, the dry skin is easily treatable. Keep your leash clean and contact the vet if it happens again.
In what situations should I avoid using the retractable dog leash?
Avoid using the leash in a very crowded area, where your pet must be near you all the time. That includes public events, all sorts of public transports or even walking through a crowded city.
Furthermore, avoid it if you are going to a dog event or any kind of place that includes lots of animals in a smaller place, like a waiting room in the veterinarian’s office.
In the end, it all depends on you. Just because some people don’t have the necessary skills to use them, doesn’t mean that the leashes are evil and should be forbidden.
Educate your self on that matter and don’t give up. There is a wide selection on the market so pick one that will guarantee your furry son maximum comfort and safety. After that, take him to a park and chase some squirrels together. Enjoy.
Photos from: Westsib / depositphotos.com, damedeeso / depositphotos.com, nadisja / depositphotos.com, mipan / depositphotos.com.
Related articles you may also like: